Thursday, August 5, 2010

Walk the Dinosaur




This is a shirt that I got on a cross-country road trip that I took with a good friend at the end of summer of 2007. To date that was probably the best summer of my life. I took my first over 21 trip to Las Vegas, I worked at a boating camp with my best friends, and I went on my first road trip to the east coast. My friend got into grad school in Connecticut and I decided to tag along as he moved out there. I believe we spent about 9 days on the road, eating good food that was terrible for us all along the way.

Things I learned on this trip:
-Flagstaff, AZ is temperate and bearable. Lake Havasu IS NOT.
-The difference between the kinds of close encounters in Roswell, NM
-Texas is boring
-Arkansas is gorgeous and green
-Pigeon Forge, TN is like a giant family fun center
-Memphis has the best ribs I've ever tasted
-There's no self serve gas in NJ so don't be too concerned when a sketchy-looking gas station attendant approaches your car as you attempt to fill up
-Philly cheesesteaks are totally better in Philly

The shirt is from Pigeon Forge. All along we way we basically stopped at as many dinosaur tourist traps as we could. There were dinosaurs along the freeway on the way to Texas, "animatronic" papier-mâché dinosaurs at an emu farm somewhere in the southwest, Dinosaurland in VA, and the Dinosaur Walk museum in Pigeon Forge. The museum housed a bunch of sculptures made by the same people that did the models for Jurassic Park so they were all very well done. Then on the outside they had a big T-Rex skeleton just like the visitors center in the movie. They didn't have any good shirts in adult sizes so this is actually a kids XL. It's probably the shortest shirt I own. I felt pretty obligated to get the T-Rex since it was also my camp nickname that summer.

As I said earlier, Pigeon Forge is like a big Family Fun Center/Boomers/Camelot. There were several mini golf courses, go-kart tracks, museums, and other entertainments. It's also home to Dollywood, the Dolly Parton's theme park. I could have easily spent a week there, but we only had a couple hours to explore. There was also a jurassic boat ride but we sadly didn't have the time to stop in. It's a place I'd gladly visit again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Soo looking forward to this blog. Though I am hoping your shirts won't all be back-wards like this one.

"Oh no, look out, a XER-T!"

Allizon said...

Fixed it! Didn't even notice until Stefan pointed it out earlier.

Brandon Stark said...

That road trip was in fact awesome. If you ever want to go back to Pigeon Forge, I'm totally down. My parents place is only a couple hours away.