Sunday, January 2, 2011

#116 Could someone please call a surgeon, who can crack my ribs and repair this broken heart...?


This shirt is one I got online I believe from The Postal Service's store. The Postal Service is one of Ben Gibbard's forays into music outside of his time as the frontman of Death Cab for Cutie and ridiculously lucky marriage to Zooey Deschanel. The other half of The Postal Service is Jimmy Tamborello of the lesser known band Dntel. They got their name from how they would pass bits of songs back and forth to each other, Tamborello making the bleeps and bloops and mailing them to Gibbard who would add in the talky bits. Fun facts.

I was going to launch into a story about how I first heard about the band and it's a short tale involving a girl I used to know and peanut butter sandwiches but it's part of Allison's continuing saga of romantic failings and it's not terribly interesting or fun so I'll pass.

Music more than food or smells triggers memories for me. I remember what song was playing in my head while I was taking my AP European History Test. I remember the song they played in the background of my completely unnecessary 6th grade graduation ceremony. I remember the CD I borrowed and played on my walkman during the 8th grade trip to the east coast. Movies can often make me cry, but nothing can make me feel more legitimately sad and moody than a song and maybe it's because of the memories and feelings that get stirred up by them. It's also probably why I like music so much, oddly enough. I'll pretty much seek out anything that pulls some sort of response out of me. I'm addicted to feeling things I guess, even though I often feel things that are shitty.

Uh...Happy New Year! Woo...

No comments: