Friday, January 21, 2011

#130 Sweetbitter


Is it weird that my room is just littered with props for me to use while taking all of these photos? Perhaps it's merely whimsical (which is to say, weird but in an endearing kind of way). It's a wonder I don't have a girlfriend, right? What girl doesn't love immature dorks that own way too many toys?

Okay that actually makes it sound a little bit endearing.

ANYWHO. I got this shirt and a matching goldenrod one for the friend that introduced me to the band Modest Mouse. Good News for People Who Love Bad News had just come out (featuring the single "Float On") but mainly we listened to Lonesome Crowded West (which, without double checking on wikipedia, is the album I believe this design was created for).

Modest Mouse is kind of a hard band to pin down, I'd say. Their music is generally mellow, melancholy, with occasional bouts of anger. They also have a few more catchy uptempo (but never upbeat) tunes (Paper Thin Walls, Float On, Dashboard).

When I think of their music it usually feels like something that you'd listen to on a roadtrip through the midwest at night. The person sitting shotgun next to you lies asleep, smudging their cheek against the window as the radio confesses everything you wouldn't be able to say in the wheat-colored daylight.


No comments: