Tuesday, February 15, 2011

#149 "I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"


The Smiths seem like an appropriate band to be listening to around Valentine's Day. Morrissey is probably the saddest of the sad singers out there, though he's in close competition with Elliot Smith and Conor Oberst. Morrissey had a bigger flair for the dramatic though (just listen to his song "Meat is Murder". That man takes his vegetarianism very seriously) in his singing.

I listened to The Smiths a lot when I was all teen angsty (now I'm just 20s angsty so I listen to songs that are sad without being angry I guess). Some of it is still pretty darn catchy but the life and death aspect to the love that Morrissey speaks of seems a little over the top now. Actually now that I'm going through some of my more favorite Smiths tracks, I kind of forgot how much I loved them. They're pretty great, just super duper dramatic.

Exhibit A:

They actually have quite a few surprisingly upbeat songs in their repertoire, at least sonically. Girlfriend in a Coma, This Charming Man, and Panic for example are all pretty bouncy songs, just with off lyrical content. They seem to have mastered the art of the happy sounding sad song.

No comments: