Sunday, February 13, 2011

#148 "Get a job where I tell all of my accounts of someone else."


I first heard about the Get Up Kids through a single that one of my brother's friends had sent to him. I was immediately hooked on the song and went out to get the CD.


The song was "My Apology" off of their Something to Write Home About album. The song's about writing songs about real people and situations and how awkward that can be. I pretty much wore out that CD when I was younger. I was such a big fan of theirs. I also was hooked on the side projects that came out of band such as Reggie and The Full Effect and The New Amsterdams. Reggie and the Full Effect is a solo project from the Get Up Kids' keyboardist that is part powerpop and part parody band. Within Reggie there are a few separate "bands" that perform songs in their respective styles be it Educational Euro-Metal (Common Denominator) or 80s Boy Band Dance Club Lovesongs (Fluxuation). The New Amsterdams is a solo project from the Get Up Kids' frontman and it's an alt-country band (that was a much less complicated explanation).

Here's a New Amsterdam's track. It's one of my favorite songs of all time.


Here's a song by Reggie as Fluxuation:

And here's one of their straight songs which happens to have my favorite music video of all time:

I mean it's got peanut butter and jelly falling in love. What's not to like?

No comments: